Thursday, October 04, 2007

Of Mice and Men


Last night I dreamed of a mouse. But it was not a usual mouse - it was much bigger, and it had a very cute, harmless, Disneyesque face . . . like a child's stuffed animal.
Yet, it still scared me. It kept staring at me as if it were going to move closer to me.
"I don't know why it scares me . . . " I said
(really hoping to convince myself not to be afraid of a mouse) to my sister Judi - who was next to me.
"... it's just a mouse." I continued, never taking my eyes off of it in case it were to move closer to me.
She laughed a silly, sisterly laugh. "That's a rat." She told me, still laughing.
I think I may have already known that. I think I may have been trying to deny that fact to ease my fears. But I was still not at ease - even with telling myself that it was just a cute, harmless mouse, and I am much bigger than a mouse.
I wanted to run. I felt it wanted to come with me. There was a sad look of longing in its eyes which, of course, pulled at my save-the-world heart strings.
But,
in the end, I did run away from it. (I'm still running.)
I ran to my car and quickly drove away.
I somehow knew I had to . . .
even though I was the bigger of the two of us - and still am.

Potions, lotions and Magic Charms: A walking meditation - a walk in the park with my Emmy Lou on this warm and
absolutely gorgeous fall afternoon.

This is what I now know: With the passing of each new day I am moving that much closer to Love and my soul's desire.

He said / She said: "Womanhood is a beautiful thing. We are beautiful but also intelligent, graceful yet strong, underestimated and overlooked but unforgettable. We may be hurt or subjugated, but we are never broken." Jennifer Reed

A note about the artist
: (The following is all I could obtain about this artist: Jennifer L. Reed. I am not sure how old this information is, so if anyone has any new information, i.e. current contact info, please let me know. Her e-mail address is incorrect.)
Jennifer Reed
is a recent graduate of Daemen College. When she was at Westmoreland High School, where she graduated Saolutatorian, she took advantage of electic art classes. At Daemen College, Jennifer studies painting--her greatest love in the art world, as well as art history, drawing, and some graphic design. She graduated Summa Cum Laude with a BFA in Art painting specialization and a minor in business administration. She feels that artists should be diverse and lifelong learners, as all forms of information can be used in one's artwork. She is currently making plans to attend graduate school to earn an MFA in studio painting. Jennifer hopes to one day be a professor of painting and to influence the artists of generations to come.



* The painting above is called: "Lost In Dreams." With the artist's permission, I would love to use some of her artwork as a compliment to my postings, as her paintings and her philosophy as a woman and an artist harmonizes beautifully with the values and purpose of
Sacred Footing.

2 comments:

Michelle's Spell said...

Lindy,

Loved this one! Sometimes a mouse/rat can be very scary! There's an old proverb that is the epitaph for the book on domestic abuse that Hedda Nussbaum (the infamous partner of Joel Steinberg who beat her senseless and killed their child) that gives some insight into both of your post for today, "Put a frog in a pot of boiling water and it will jump out and save itself. Put a frog in a pot and turn up the heat slowly and it will boil to death." I think that's about the best description of bad/abusive relationships there is. Hope you're enjoying the Emmy Lou! I love her!

Pythia3 said...

You said it, Michelle - that's why hitting bottom and burning ones bottom can save a life!
I may need a lot of ointment - better than being the appetizer.
I love my Emmy Lou too!